I feel guilty posting this after so many healthy recipes. But these were so good that I thought I'd share the experience. And the guilt.I had a bunch of oil that needed to be used up (gotta rotate that food storage!), and found this recipe. The result is kind of a cross between spice cake doughnuts and a funnel cake. And the apples were just amazing in it. I took the leftovers to work the next day so I wouldn't eat them all, and they were gone almost instantly.
Notes:
* Use all the apples. It seemed like too much to me, so I left out over a fourth of what I had diced, not registering that the batter would expand in the oil, and leave the fritters less apple-y than they should be.
* I used the leftover diced apples a few days later to see if I could bake these instead of frying them. See the end of the recipe for results.
Ingredients
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ cups Sugar
- 2-¼ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1-¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 2 whole Large Eggs
- ¾ cups Whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 3 whole Granny Smith Apples, Peeled And Diced
- 1-½ cup Powdered Sugar
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- ¼ teaspoons Vanilla
- ¼ cups Milk
Preparation Instructions
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then add milk, melted butter, and vanilla.
Gently fold dry and wet ingredients together until just combined (do not overmix.) Fold in apples. Add enough apples to make a very chunky batter. (it should look more apple-y than this.)
Heat a couple of inches of canola oil over medium to medium-low heat (I actually started heating the oil as I was making the batter—it takes a while to heat up to the right temperature). When it gets hot, drop a little drop of batter into the oil. If it sizzles immediately and rises to the top, the oil is ready; if it burns quickly, turn down the heat.
Drop teaspoons of batter (I used a small cookie scoop) into the hot oil, five or six at a time. Flip them after about a minute or a minute and a half. Cook the other side for another minute or minute and a half. Make sure they don’t get too brown, but cook them long enough to make sure the batter’s cooked through.
Remove and drain on a paper towel. Dip fritters in a light doughnut glaze using the above recipe and let them "drip dry" on a cooling rack over a cutting board or other washable surface.
Variation: Apple Spice Doughnuts
I used a miniature doughnut pan I got for my birthday and baked the batter at 325 for about 8 minutes, then dipped them in glaze. As you can see, they look like giant cheerios. Not quite as decadent as the deep fried travesty, but still very good. especially for breakfast.



Wow, that sounds fantastic. I think we need a demo next time you're in town...
ReplyDelete